Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Only in Malaysia

Only in Malaysia does the word "Allah" (meaning God) belong to Muslims. The government cites that if the word "Allah" was allowed to be used by the Christians to refer to God, this would lead to confusion among Muslims about the true identity of God. Did you know that in Malaysia, and only in Malaysia, Islam is controlled by law. Which means once you become a Muslim, you're not allowed to leave the religion - you're trapped in it. I have many Muslims friends around the world and even they are surprised at how immature the Malaysian government is. Currently, the Christians are in court battling for the use of the word "Allah" in the Malay section of the Christian weekly, Herald. The Malaysian High Court ruled last week that Muslims do not have a hold on word "Allah" and anyone can use it, but the Malaysian government appealed the decision the very next day. I really find this ridiculous. But maybe it means something. If a mosque were to suddenly acclaim, "Oh Lord, my God," would Christians rush to the mosque and pray? We wouldn't. But what the Malaysian government is implying is that Muslims in Malaysia are dumb enough to do so if the word "Allah" was uttered in church or published in the Christian weekly newspaper. Go figure.

Also, only in Malaysia does a conspirator to a crime able to walk free from punishment, especially when the stolen goods were military aircraft engines!

The Malaysian economy is floundering but yet the Malaysian government is focused on minor issues that doesn't help its people. While countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia has surpassed Malaysia in terms of foreign FDI, Malaysia is still focused on attracting FDI through cheap labour. When will the Malaysian government learn that we have to rise up the chain of labour from low technology to high technology. And this involves education and long term planning. Do not discourage or stop people from other races, who are much more proficient in English, from being English teachers. Why stop those who are good in something in doing what they like. Preferential treatment only makes one race weak. The other races have to fight in order to survive, making them more versatile. That would explain why, despite preferential treatment, it is the other races that earn the high wages and the best jobs. Doesn't the Malaysian government see this? I have to admit that not everyone in the Malaysian government is as highly educated as their Singaporean counterparts, but give me a break. Not being alert to things likes these only makes the world laugh at these elected officials. Come on, how stupid can the PM and his people be? While I agree that certain races need some protection, don't make it so obvious. This creates ill-feelings among the other races.

Malaysia Truly Asia is a wonderful tag line, if only it could be believed. I see some third world countries giving better treatment to their citizens that what my country gives to me. My country didn't allow me to study in the local university, giving my place to someone else with lower entry qualifications. I have to beg for a bank loan because the Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA) was too busy playing politics to give me even RM10. I now earn a 5-figure salary and this is thanks to the government preferential treatment, or else I would have been lazy and have had to be reliant on the government.

But I have to be fair. Quite a number of my Muslims friends are very hard working. I have the utmost respect for them. And they earn much higher salaries than I do. And I am not complaining. It is always good to work with people who are equally competent. It is only working with incompetent people who get the job because of preferential treatment which irks me. Even if you know you've got the job because of some "preferred" criteria, the least you could do is work hard in your job and not slack and have someone else pick up the pieces.

Do you see where I am going with this? This is why despite having first world infrastructures, we're still basically a kampung (village) society.

No comments: